Skip to main content

Second Week of March! =)

Good morning people! I'm awake now and it's wayyyyy too early for a weekend! The malfunction of my alarm clock has definitely trained me well to rely not on him, but rather my most reliable biological clock! I'm lazy to change the battery, or buy a new battery, cause this has never came across my mind recently! Too busy with study. Wait, really? These few days I woke up everyday automatically at 6.15 - 6.20am, with the first thing in mind is... trial is coming in less than 3 weeks! Stressful. =(

I praise God for waking me up, take shower and prepare myself for class commencing at 8am every weekday. My breakfast has been the same too, for this whole week; yet I enjoy eating it so far; 2 bananas, 3 slices of wholemeal bread with peanut butter spread, 2 eggs and a cup of low fat milk. This can last me for another 4 hours before my break time at 11am.

This week I spent quite a considerable number of hours teaching my juniors too, mainly on applied maths (mechanics and statistics). By teaching them, I'm actually revising the syllabus myself and in a way it's good for the preparation for trial exam too! I found myself understand the topics more when I was teaching them, since I myself need to fully comprehend the question before teaching the right way to think and solve it. New interest lies in teaching line, I guess. Haha! xD

I also bumped into this course named Quantitative Finance, which I often overlook in the past but found it rather interesting and captivating with its tough challenges now. Check it out if you're interested, too! Bank Negara does offer this course for postgraduate degree and that attracts me towards it even further. It's basically pricing and hedging derivatives (forwards, futures, options), bonds, currencies, equities etc by applying high density of various statistical methods and mathematical tools (for instance, stochastic calculus), which can be called as mathematical finance, and often overlap with financial engineering and computational finance too. The person who perform quantitative finance is called quantitative analyst, or in short 'quant'.

Now I'm wondering whether I can be both qualified actuary and at the same time be a quant! I do realise that albeit actuarial science and quantitative finance are both quite distinctive, they share some resemblances in their foundation and I think foundation is very important for a person to achieve further in related career. Their discrepancy mainly lies within their fields of applications, where actuarial science is generally applied more in insurance, pension and investment; and quantitative finance is concerned more with investment management, risk management and derivatives pricing.

Both subjects are very numerical inclined, and typically those who are studying quantitative finance come from physics, engineering or maths background rather than economics background. What about actuarial science background, since it's also very mathematical inclined? I personally think Actuarial Science degree is more rigorous than typical Engineering degree, but slightly less than Maths and Physics. So people from actuarial science background should do fairly well too in the study of quantitative finance.

Sounds very interesting, no? It's okay to dream high, cause most high achievers are dreamers, too! =)

Alright, that's all for now! Will update more later! =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Weeks Experiences in The New Class! =)

Listening to: The more I seek You - Kari Jobe It's been two weeks since I joined the new class! Most, if not all, of my new classmates are quite friendly to me, gratefully! Thank God for that! Within the first few days I've recognised and remembered most of my classmates' names! =p Okay to be frank, I was trying to memorise. That's why I could remember their names fast, and blend into their group easily? =) How? Facebook does the trick! Adding someone into your friend list in Facebook will definitely improve your ability to remember names. Well it works for me, at least! =p Okay why am I keep writing posts about PE1? I don't know, just want to share my thoughts with everyone, how I spend my time in the new class and so on. During break time I tend to hang out with a group of new friends, and a large portion of them were from Catholic High School, PJ. Haha I was supposed to go there, but I didn't. My younger sister did, anyway. Most of them tend ...

Dreams Come True!!! ^_^

While I was feeling happy and grateful regarding the call from Shell about the phone interview few hours ago, suddenly I saw an email reached my inbox signalling the title of BNM. I was really nervous about it, wondering what would that be from the bank. Here it is, the message conveyed in the email: Saudara Ng Chia Wei, Tahniah kerana terpilih untuk menerima Anugerah Biasiswa Bank Negara  Malaysia Peringkat Pra-Ijazah Sesi 2010/2011 bagi mengikuti kursus   Sains Aktuari . Biasiswa berkenaan adalah untuk mengikuti program-program  persediaan Ijazah luar negara di kolej-kolej tempatan. Sila fakskan borang  yang dikepilkan ke 03- 26942909 dengan segera sekiranya saudara menerima  tawaran Biasiswa ini. Saudara akan dihubungi oleh pihak   Bank Negara Malaysia   untuk tawaran rasmi  Biasiswa dan urusan pendaftaran kolej selewat-lewatnya pada minggu hadapan. Terima kasih. OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I screamed these words r...

The Greatest Rejection Ever!!! T_T

Upon rejected by a dozen of scholarships institutions, I was highly hoping at the very common scholarship that everyone would most likely to apply for - JPA. Obviously, there was a stiff competition among the excellent students nationwide, since JPA is only capable of offering 1500 places to those students for overseas program. Probably there are tonnes of excellent students this batch who scored lots of A+, but instead of 2000 places offered for the previous years, JPA reduced the number to 1500. Due to economics recession maybe, and we as the students, are the major victims. Lots of my friends who actually scored way better than me failed to get the scholarships, including me of course. Also, the introduction of A+ to the students end of last year shocked and intimidated almost every SPM'09 student, cause they were not given enough time to prepare adequately to score A+, which technically means above 90% marks. Personally, I was really down and depressed over the rejection of J...