Skip to main content

Review on Joy Stealer #1: Work of the Flesh

This is the first part of a book I am currently reading (Seven Things That Steal Your Joy by Joyce Meyer) thanks to the recommendation given by my dear friend. As an author and one of the most recognised pastors, she did not grow up in a Christian family but rather like Oprah Winfrey, grew up in an abusive family. Expectantly she has gone through many sufferings and challenges, things that easily took away joy from her life. But over the years of experience, she has came out victoriously and can be joyful anywhere she goes, in whatever circumstances. How did she do that? Today I am going to review the first chapter of the book, on the first Joy Stealer.

How often do you find yourself trying multiple attempts yet fail again and again? I did! Fortunately for me, it did not normally take me long to get the result I desired after second or third attempts. In the book, J. Meyer said that so often people rely on their own strengths, trying to change things around them and not relying on God's power. How frustrated it is when all you want is a slight change in your situation, your family, your spouse, your workplace or maybe your own boss?! But things just don't often go your way, in fact most of the times they don't! What went wrong?

Through the story of Abraham in the Bible, J. Meyer illustrated perfectly how Abram (Abraham's previous name) wanted a son so badly yet he and his wife Sarah (then Sarai), bore nothing. Now they are almost 100 years old, 20 years after God first promised Abraham and Sarah a son. Why is there a delay for God to fulfill His promise? Why did God wait until Sarah has gone through the phase to bear children, with a barren womb? Why does God wait until it is almost impossible for something to happen, only to make His promises seemed more like miracles to be fulfilled? In the book, J. Meyer said "Because He likes to show Himself strong in behalf of those whose hearts are blameless toward Him (2 Chronicles 16:9)".

Indeed, God always seem to be delaying His promises, but let's ask yourself this question, shall we? Can you still love God and be happy, even if you did not receive the things that you are believing for? What if I can't earn more money and accumulate enough wealth up to my desired level, can I still love God and serve Him? If I can't get a girlfriend I desired, can I still love God and give Him my best in everything? If I can't get to achieve what I want in my career, can I still love God? You get the idea.

Here's the thing: If you can't get to the point where you can be happy without having what you want, you will never receive it. Words! This is a little revelation to me, but having contemplated on it, it is perfectly logical. Here's why: If you can't be happy without all these things, you have made the things you are asking for your idols, not God. If God gives you all the things you asked for, and that He knew that you love all these things far beyond your love for Him, He will NOT give you.

Hang on a minute, what about those who had never accepted Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour? Why did they still succeed in life with massive wealth? I suspect this applies to those who are convicted in their belief in God, and because God has saved them through Christ Jesus, God will want the perfect blessings to be poured out in abundance to His children -  you and me. Many people can emerge successful, but how many of them are truly joyful and enjoying their fruits of labour in life? There may not be many of them.

So here's the key: Keep God FIRST! And if you keep God first, He will never hesitate to bless you radically because my God is a God of love and He delights in the prosperity of His children.

Sometimes you might be impatient in waiting God's promises to be fulfilled. You are NOT ALONE! Very often I am impatient, and this patience trait is something I need to develop myself. My generation in general is an instant generation, in a sense that we want everything fast and instantly. But do we have the necessary patience to wait for God to work it through His perfect plan? Will we come out with alternative plan just to say to God, "Hey God, here's my plan, can you please help me to achieve it?" Maybe we will. I know I did.

But things will never go smoothly when we are following our own plans, because without God in our plan, we are short of wisdom. We will play blame games when things don't go our way. What to do? We have to bear consequences, quite possibly more delay from God! Sarah who decided to speed things up her way, asked Hagar, her Egyptian maid, to intercourse with Abraham and Ishmael was born. Hagar who thought she has an upper hand against Sarah (since she managed to conceive) started to fight with Sarah, with Abraham stuck in the middle. I would never want to be in that situation. How foolish when you come to think of it in the modern days?! Maybe God will give them Isaac much earlier had Ishmael not been borned?

Signing off.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Penning Down Thoughts

I never had the habit of journaling, and it was never my thing. You see, I had a hard time polishing my language skills. Having grown up and educated in a Chinese primary school and surrounded by Chinese-speaking community at least two third of my life, I had the tendency to speak and think in Chinese. English was out of my realm of mastery. Mandarin Chinese is my mother tongue after all. Ironically I have been widely misunderstood as being a 'banana' - a Chinese who only speaks English.  It seems I do have a 'banana' look. I have been told that I speak and write English better than my Chinese sentences, which the latter often seems to be awkward and to some extent, trying too hard. Can't really blame me right? I have not been consistently writing Chinese for the past 10 years. But this is blatantly deceiving! My English proficiency has not always been acceptable. Reading back my blog posts even just 5 years ago brought myself to embarrassment. In short, I d

What Owning a Turbocharged Car has Taught me

If there is a single word that can sum up what owning a turbocharged car for the past one and a half year has taught me, it will be this — humility . I have quite a number of people telling me my car is cool, fast and what not. But instead of getting all boasted up, I can't help but to be humble at my slow car. Slow car? You wondered. For a hot hatch making well above 234 horses on the wheel with 270Nm torque, this Neo turbo boosting 1-bar (14.5 psi) is producing more than double a stock Neo CPS is making. This is certainly not a slow car by any conventional family car standard. But with this comes a hefty price, in terms of time and money. The maintenance cost is not cheap, as it is the case with any other turbocharged car. Turbocharged vehicles are more prone to component failures just simply by the fact that there are a lot more things that can fail within the complex system, as compared to a much simpler naturally aspirated mode.  I have educated myself with how a

2 Weeks Experiences in The New Class! =)

Listening to: The more I seek You - Kari Jobe It's been two weeks since I joined the new class! Most, if not all, of my new classmates are quite friendly to me, gratefully! Thank God for that! Within the first few days I've recognised and remembered most of my classmates' names! =p Okay to be frank, I was trying to memorise. That's why I could remember their names fast, and blend into their group easily? =) How? Facebook does the trick! Adding someone into your friend list in Facebook will definitely improve your ability to remember names. Well it works for me, at least! =p Okay why am I keep writing posts about PE1? I don't know, just want to share my thoughts with everyone, how I spend my time in the new class and so on. During break time I tend to hang out with a group of new friends, and a large portion of them were from Catholic High School, PJ. Haha I was supposed to go there, but I didn't. My younger sister did, anyway. Most of them tend