Skip to main content

A Little Crossroad



Every day we are faced with many little crossroads whether we realise it or not. Some are small decisions we can make instantaneously with little impacts on our general happiness, while some can be so significant it would punch a hole on our wallet for some extended period of time if we were not careful enough, and thus our general happiness.

For instance, changing a job, buying a house or car, getting involved in a joint venture deal with a business partner and maybe planning a trip to some exotic destinations. All these are crossroads that would determine your future paths and financial situation.

I was quite risk averse but over the years in the UK, I have become more and more risk tolerant, thanks to the endless opportunities to invest in the UK. I was younger and I was more than willing to absorb a slightly higher risk for a greater return. I had invested a fair amount of about £4,000 in Funding Circle, a P2P lending platform to SMEs in the UK, but withdrew most of it when I returned back to Malaysia.

Now I am facing yet another crossroad: whether I should buy a property now. As you would have noticed (come on, it's everywhere on the news so if you haven't heard anything about it, you should really start reading some news), the economy hasn't been performing well in recent quarters due to the Ringgit depreciation, coupled with some internal and external factors. GST has been introduced for more than a year, crude oil price fell and import prices shot up.

I know I should have been more reserved and conservative on making financial decisions, after all I have just started working for 3 months. Even if I am able to afford a condominium unit doesn't mean I should commit myself so hastily to a huge financial obligation. Everyone I spoke to advised me to wait, and they are mostly right. I should wait a little while before digging myself a hole to jump in. I am still young, and I have more than sufficient time to research through everything I need to know.

The project I have found is called Oasis 1, located at Mutiara Height, Kajang. KAJANG?! Everyone said it's far, but upon calculation it is still within 25km from the city centre. I know it is about 26km away from my workplace, so it is approximately the same distance with my parents' house. There is a proposed MRT located just 3km away from the condominium. I was quoted RM450k for a unit of 1246 square feet, averaging RM361 per square feet. Where to find such a good deal in Klang Valley and Selangor?!

I am seriously tempted.

But here's the catch: Despite being surrounded by 5 highways (PLUS, LEKAS, SKVE, Silk and Saga Cheras), it meant one thing - TOLLS! There are so many tolls. Just last Saturday I went to the TLS Group showroom and I had to drive pass a few tolls. Just recently the toll rates were raised for a range of 60 sen to RM3 in various expressways in Klang Valley. This is madness! The only thing I can rely on is the newly proposed MRT Saujana Impian due to be completed in 2018.

Upon speaking to a number of seniors, it is a general consensus the property market is slowing down and there will be an oversupply of condominiums in the next couple of years. But whether the prices of condominiums will decrease remains an uncertainty. The property prices are likely to fall in hotspots such as Bukit Jalil and Kuchai Lama, as well as their rental yields. If the property bubble bursts, the properties where there are amenities, banks, schools, LRTs/MRTs stations will be the first to recover from the downturn.

There are two aspects a property investor can look at when considering a project: capital appreciation and rental income. So how does Oasis 1 perform in these two aspects? From the capital appreciation perspective, Oasis 1 seems promising. Kajang is growing and it will only continue to grow. It is still within 30km proximity from the city centre anyway. There is a reason why many big boys developers have started looking into Kajang areas for future projects. TLS Group has been here for ages which explains how they claimed their first share of land. Plus there are MRTs coming up, so the transports link to city centre will only get easier over time.

On rental income though, there is no guarantee. Properties located at the hotspots, due to an oversupply of condominiums, may have their rental prices compressed. However, Bukit Jalil area won't seem to be affected too much though, due to the existing Bukit Jalil and Sri Petaling LRT stations, as well as upcoming Technology Park Malaysia (TPM) MRT station. What about Kajang? Again it will heavily depend on the MRT. Oasis 1 is not within the walking distance from the nearest proposed MRT station (about 7 minutes drive), so rental market won't be too appealing.

Verdict: It is up to my purpose of buying the property. If I wish to buy for own stay, maybe it is a good investment. Even if for own stay, whether I am willing to travel this distance every day to office remains another question (maybe not?). But if I want to rely on the rental income to finance my monthly instalment, I may not be able to demand a full coverage and there is a high chance I will need to topup.

Maybe I will just wait and do more research. Also considering Park Hill Residence in Bukit Jalil and LakeVille (Mah Sing project) in Jalan Ipoh. Hope to get somewhere closer within Kuala Lumpur, with fair price and wide accessibility to public transport (LRT/MRT). I definitely have a lot more to learn. I wouldn't want to regret making a wrong financial decision.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Penning Down Thoughts

I never had the habit of journaling, and it was never my thing. You see, I had a hard time polishing my language skills. Having grown up and educated in a Chinese primary school and surrounded by Chinese-speaking community at least two third of my life, I had the tendency to speak and think in Chinese. English was out of my realm of mastery. Mandarin Chinese is my mother tongue after all. Ironically I have been widely misunderstood as being a 'banana' - a Chinese who only speaks English.  It seems I do have a 'banana' look. I have been told that I speak and write English better than my Chinese sentences, which the latter often seems to be awkward and to some extent, trying too hard. Can't really blame me right? I have not been consistently writing Chinese for the past 10 years. But this is blatantly deceiving! My English proficiency has not always been acceptable. Reading back my blog posts even just 5 years ago brought myself to embarrassment. In short, I d

What Owning a Turbocharged Car has Taught me

If there is a single word that can sum up what owning a turbocharged car for the past one and a half year has taught me, it will be this — humility . I have quite a number of people telling me my car is cool, fast and what not. But instead of getting all boasted up, I can't help but to be humble at my slow car. Slow car? You wondered. For a hot hatch making well above 234 horses on the wheel with 270Nm torque, this Neo turbo boosting 1-bar (14.5 psi) is producing more than double a stock Neo CPS is making. This is certainly not a slow car by any conventional family car standard. But with this comes a hefty price, in terms of time and money. The maintenance cost is not cheap, as it is the case with any other turbocharged car. Turbocharged vehicles are more prone to component failures just simply by the fact that there are a lot more things that can fail within the complex system, as compared to a much simpler naturally aspirated mode.  I have educated myself with how a

2 Weeks Experiences in The New Class! =)

Listening to: The more I seek You - Kari Jobe It's been two weeks since I joined the new class! Most, if not all, of my new classmates are quite friendly to me, gratefully! Thank God for that! Within the first few days I've recognised and remembered most of my classmates' names! =p Okay to be frank, I was trying to memorise. That's why I could remember their names fast, and blend into their group easily? =) How? Facebook does the trick! Adding someone into your friend list in Facebook will definitely improve your ability to remember names. Well it works for me, at least! =p Okay why am I keep writing posts about PE1? I don't know, just want to share my thoughts with everyone, how I spend my time in the new class and so on. During break time I tend to hang out with a group of new friends, and a large portion of them were from Catholic High School, PJ. Haha I was supposed to go there, but I didn't. My younger sister did, anyway. Most of them tend