Skip to main content

April Bliss =)

Wooohooo A2 trial is OVER!!! I was so excited when the invigilator said 'Time's up!' yesterday upon finishing my Maths P4 (Mechanics)! Praise the Lord! I didn't have much time to update these 2 weeks cause I was too busy preparing for trial exams! Last week was the worst, with Economics Paper 4, Further Maths 1, and Further Maths 2 on consecutive days. So after 3 ridiculously stressful days of studying, time to camwhore myself! HAHAHA! Well quite unexpected from me, but it's my first time enjoying camwhoring so much! =p I think if you were my friend in my FB, you will be able to see... uh... suffer muahahaha! =p

Despite having busy schedule, I still had time (especially when I was hopping on the bus from college to Casa or vice versa) to pick up a book. I've been reading 'The Quant' by Scott Patterson borrowed from the library 2 weeks back before trial started, temporarily stopped reading 'Fooled by Randomness' by Nassim Taleb for a while.

This book revealed to readers some very prominent pioneer quants, one of which is Edward O. Thorp. He graduated from Phd in Maths (functional analysis) from UCLA. While he was working as a professor in UC Irwine, he was the first blackjack player who came out with cards counting by the knowledge of probability and statistics, to make sure the odds favour him. To cut the long story short, he soon moved his focus from Las Vegas to Wall Street and again by using his ability to apply probability and statistics, he did extremely well with his hedge fund named Princeton/Newport Partners and had double digit return every year regardless of the market condition, having survived market crash in 1987. Another young prodigy revealed was Ken Griffin, who is now one of the most successful hedge fund managers with net worth 2.3 billion USD, the founder and CEO of Citadel, amongst the largest and most successful hedge funds in the world.

But the major concern of this book is not this. It is how the quants conquered the Wall Street and by relying in their quantitative models too much, nearly destroyed it during 2008 financial crisis (what is called as the Black Swan event by Nassim Taleb). I've read 1/3 of the book and it seems very interesting so far, and by reading this book I've learnt about lots of new things on financial market and theories. Anyone interested can pick it up too! =)

Oh updates on Trial exam! Mr. Mohan, my Economics lecturer has already finished marking the A2 trial paper and nobody got A, as expected. Last year in my previous class nobody got A too in the Trial and eventually quite a number of them got A* for Economics. Oh btw, my result improved! Last year Trial I got a solid C for my Economics, and now I got a B. Praise the Lord! It wasn't that bad, I think. =) Have to work harder during holidays, my lecturer said. So far my exams were okay, albeit having a few minor mistakes in several papers. Anyway it's officially OVER! Time to prepare for the actual one, soon. =))

Yesterday was Easter day, and I went to church at night to attend their Easter service. I would post about the messages conveyed by Reverend Kenneth Chin, so here it goes!

Bible verses: Genesis 1-3, John 15:13, John 3:16, Roman 3:23, Roman 6:23, Roman 5:8, Matthew 16:21, Acts 2:28, Roman 10:8-13.

- Jesus loves us so much, and He is so easy to be loved.
- Through one man's disobedience, curse came; but through another man's obedience, blessing came!
   =)
- Sins separate us from God; when Jesus took over our sins to pay for us, Jesus had to be separated
   from God.
- Jesus was under tremendous stress as He is very close to God!
- Jesus had to pay the ultimate price for us, by dying.
- We were minus (-) in the past, and through Jesus, we are now plus (+).
- Both Adam and Eve tried to cover themselves, but Jesus had to get exposed. We have to do nothing!
- Salvation is Jesus + nothing!
- He chose the way to die, on the Cross!
- For us who are running away for our sins, Jesus had to be nailed on both naked foot!
- For all sins, someone has already paid the price with both hands wide opened!
- Anyone can come to Him, and we can cast all the burdens on Him.
- Relax, Receive and Respond!
- A lot of wonderful things can happen when we surrender.
- Before God, we took control and be the king to our life; with God, it's no longer us who
   control our life, it is God to be the king to our life and takes control of our life.
- What is your faith based on?
- Jesus took it all, paid His life just for our sins, voluntarily.
- Jesus loves us so much, that He gave his best, for us.
- We are changed, despite nothing 'visible/tangible' happens, with Jesus in our life.
- With Jesus in our life, it's no longer the same anymore.
- With open arms, Jesus welcomes us to Him!
- His greatest mission was to go to the Cross, for me and you.
- We all have a choice to make, to believe or not, on Him!
- Confess on the Lord Jesus Christ, trust in Him, and we shall be saved!

That's all! I will write another entry now for a different topic altogether! Stay tuned! =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Penning Down Thoughts

I never had the habit of journaling, and it was never my thing. You see, I had a hard time polishing my language skills. Having grown up and educated in a Chinese primary school and surrounded by Chinese-speaking community at least two third of my life, I had the tendency to speak and think in Chinese. English was out of my realm of mastery. Mandarin Chinese is my mother tongue after all. Ironically I have been widely misunderstood as being a 'banana' - a Chinese who only speaks English.  It seems I do have a 'banana' look. I have been told that I speak and write English better than my Chinese sentences, which the latter often seems to be awkward and to some extent, trying too hard. Can't really blame me right? I have not been consistently writing Chinese for the past 10 years. But this is blatantly deceiving! My English proficiency has not always been acceptable. Reading back my blog posts even just 5 years ago brought myself to embarrassment. In short, I d

What Owning a Turbocharged Car has Taught me

If there is a single word that can sum up what owning a turbocharged car for the past one and a half year has taught me, it will be this — humility . I have quite a number of people telling me my car is cool, fast and what not. But instead of getting all boasted up, I can't help but to be humble at my slow car. Slow car? You wondered. For a hot hatch making well above 234 horses on the wheel with 270Nm torque, this Neo turbo boosting 1-bar (14.5 psi) is producing more than double a stock Neo CPS is making. This is certainly not a slow car by any conventional family car standard. But with this comes a hefty price, in terms of time and money. The maintenance cost is not cheap, as it is the case with any other turbocharged car. Turbocharged vehicles are more prone to component failures just simply by the fact that there are a lot more things that can fail within the complex system, as compared to a much simpler naturally aspirated mode.  I have educated myself with how a

My Solo Trip to Vietnam v2 (Mui Ne)

Day 3: Mui Ne, 23 December 2015.  I arrived Mui Ne at 4:10am on Futa Bus. I was promised by the bus company officer that I will be dropped right in front of my hostel in Mui Ne, so I was expecting it. As I seen some of the passengers being dropped in front of their respective hostels, I was pretty confident the bus driver will do the same. But after about 10 minutes, a few other passengers and I were dropped in front of the Futa Bus regional office. Almost instantly a guy approached me and asked about my hostel. I remained wishful, hoping the bus driver will somehow remember the promise made. So I was expecting it, and this guy seemed to be working for the bus company. Perhaps the bus driver had forgotten to drop me in front of my hostel, and he asked this guy to fetch me there. At least that was what I thought. The guy immediately recognized the hostel and said he can bring me there. He asked me to hop onto his motorbike and we rode off. Almost instantly after I hopped onto