Skip to main content

Rat Race! =)

It's been a few days and I'm back! Well I'm always here. I have so much things to tell yet couldn't put it in words. I just don't know where to start. I've attended a few events these few days - a gathering for Christian Fellowship members in TCSJ (2010) and an annual general meeting for alumni of Alam Shah Science School (OASIS). I wouldn't tell everything in detail cause that would certainly bores you to death, but I've noticed something in common. And I feel obligated to share it with you, my reader.

First of all, I felt extremely happy and grateful to gather with many old friends (some of them even lost in touch for ages). I was happy for their well being now, and definitely hoped that they would continue to do well in their life. Some of them do extremely well and have already proceed to doing their respective degrees, while some of my seniors from my previous secondary school have already started working. Some of my CF friends are taking gap year and still pondering over what to do next, albeit already graduated from their pre-U for months, or years for some cases. But this doesn't make them any lesser than those who are doing well in degree. Why?

Taking any gap year doesn't actually make someone any lesser compared to those who have planned well and proceed to the next stage of life. Quite contrary to it, it actually gives someone more time to think of their future career, or simply just taking a break after more than 11 years of formal education. Many parents think that their children should not waste the time taking gap year, and should finish their study as soon as possible, and start entering job market to earn money. Everything is subjective based, and the word 'should' to above cases has been embedded to the mind of most parents, over many generations.


What are the reasons we study and graduate from such and such degree? In the end, everyone is looking for a job with the main objective circulating money. What most people do not aware of, is what we called as 'Rat Race', awaiting us upon graduation. We graduate from a good degree from top university with a good result, find a good job in top firm, get the paycheck, and start paying off our debts in any form (car loan, mortgage, house loan, study loan, credit cards etc). Soon after you get married and have children, expenses for household increases, exponentially. This goes on and on and on, without any breach in between. You cannot possibly build wealth with such cycle circulating on and on and on, without an end.

So, what do we do, to avoid such seemingly trivial, but could have pernicious consequences, cycle that haunts most of the working population? Start SAVING! Saving itself might not be influential enough but this is the first step! A simple yet crucial step that would contribute to your financial independence, yet many people couldn't do it. That's where credit crisis comes in, in simple form, when everyone gets involved in any forms of debts.


A smart person will try his/her best to avoid from every sort of temptation, to be trapped in debts. As long as you have debts, you will never achieve financial independence. Credit cards is another very common form of debt. It's good if you could spend appropriately based on your monthly earning, but many people do not care much and spend extravagantly like nobody's business, treating credit cards as the licence to spend future money. Think twice (if possible thrice) before you register for a credit card, as that would easily crush your dream of being financial independent if you couldn't control your spending. Invest in income generating assets (bonds, property, stocks, options, futures, forex, commodity) and reduce expenses. Think about it.

That's all for now! Ciao~ =)

Comments

  1. Nicky, u took this from Robert Kiyosaki? haha..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Partially. I learnt about this term from Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, but the suggestions given to the problem are quite general I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey don't leave! Leave your comment here please! Thanks! :D

Popular posts from this blog

Penning Down Thoughts

I never had the habit of journaling, and it was never my thing. You see, I had a hard time polishing my language skills. Having grown up and educated in a Chinese primary school and surrounded by Chinese-speaking community at least two third of my life, I had the tendency to speak and think in Chinese. English was out of my realm of mastery. Mandarin Chinese is my mother tongue after all. Ironically I have been widely misunderstood as being a 'banana' - a Chinese who only speaks English.  It seems I do have a 'banana' look. I have been told that I speak and write English better than my Chinese sentences, which the latter often seems to be awkward and to some extent, trying too hard. Can't really blame me right? I have not been consistently writing Chinese for the past 10 years. But this is blatantly deceiving! My English proficiency has not always been acceptable. Reading back my blog posts even just 5 years ago brought myself to embarrassment. In short, I d

What Owning a Turbocharged Car has Taught me

If there is a single word that can sum up what owning a turbocharged car for the past one and a half year has taught me, it will be this — humility . I have quite a number of people telling me my car is cool, fast and what not. But instead of getting all boasted up, I can't help but to be humble at my slow car. Slow car? You wondered. For a hot hatch making well above 234 horses on the wheel with 270Nm torque, this Neo turbo boosting 1-bar (14.5 psi) is producing more than double a stock Neo CPS is making. This is certainly not a slow car by any conventional family car standard. But with this comes a hefty price, in terms of time and money. The maintenance cost is not cheap, as it is the case with any other turbocharged car. Turbocharged vehicles are more prone to component failures just simply by the fact that there are a lot more things that can fail within the complex system, as compared to a much simpler naturally aspirated mode.  I have educated myself with how a

My Solo Trip to Vietnam v2 (Mui Ne)

Day 3: Mui Ne, 23 December 2015.  I arrived Mui Ne at 4:10am on Futa Bus. I was promised by the bus company officer that I will be dropped right in front of my hostel in Mui Ne, so I was expecting it. As I seen some of the passengers being dropped in front of their respective hostels, I was pretty confident the bus driver will do the same. But after about 10 minutes, a few other passengers and I were dropped in front of the Futa Bus regional office. Almost instantly a guy approached me and asked about my hostel. I remained wishful, hoping the bus driver will somehow remember the promise made. So I was expecting it, and this guy seemed to be working for the bus company. Perhaps the bus driver had forgotten to drop me in front of my hostel, and he asked this guy to fetch me there. At least that was what I thought. The guy immediately recognized the hostel and said he can bring me there. He asked me to hop onto his motorbike and we rode off. Almost instantly after I hopped onto